Sunday, October 10, 2010

Getting my craft on…

Prior to getting engaged I had only stepped into Michaels a handful of times.  Now I’m obsessed!  I’ve found a few projects I would like to DIY so it is amazing how many trips to Michaels seem to be required.  I blame their coupons!  40% off here, 10% off your entire purchase between 9 am and 1 pm there…  Never leave home without your Michaels coupons!  Mr. Gazelle is a good sport and just chuckles.IMGP2267This weekend I needed to be organized.  I knew I wanted to pick up some embossing supplies, plus I wanted to grab some Styrofoam balls that I’m planning on using for centerpieces.

This required a plan of attack as some deals ended on Friday and some started up on Saturday for the items I was interested in.IMGP2262Yup, I needed a good list!

So what have I been picking up from Michaels you might ask?IMGP2259A paper cutter to help with our invitations.  Paper punches that will be used with the Styrofoam balls I was buying, a glue gun, ribbon, a stamp and embossing materials.IMGP2260Here is a close up of some of my favourite things that I’ll be using.  The paper punch, a rubber stamp of a bicycle, and some bicycle scrapbook paper.  I cleared one Michaels out of their entire stock of this particular paper!  

After picking up the materials I needed to emboss I of course had to try the technique out last night.  First, I embossed an envelope with purple.IMGP2270 Then I tried pearly white.  Hmm, it didn’t stand out as much as I had hoped. IMGP2271Then I tried the pearly white on a darker background (but the only thing I could find was an ad in a magazine). IMGP2272Then I tried purple on a black background (but I was only able to find my black camera box for that one). One thing is for sure.  I love this embossing trick!IMGP2273

Did you find yourself shopping at new and unexpected stores after you got engaged?  Did you become a Michaels-a-holic?

5 comments:

Meg said...

You can get the coupons online too!

I got a stamp and went stamp crazy. LOVE IT!

Lindsay said...

embossing seems so awesome to me, though i have never done it. that bike stamp is too cute! i can't wait to see how you use it for the wedding (or i hope you do, anyway) :)

also, love that engineering notepad haha!

Unknown said...

A few tool-deal tips: If you need a corner rounder, my suggestion is to buy it at Wal Mart, they're really good and way cheaper than Michael's (even with a coupon). And, for the heat tool, you can pick them up at hardware stores for way less than craft stores as well. And if you're into embossing, you should try the clear embossing powder, it looks really pretty and subtle on most colors of paper! Have fun crafting!

Danielle said...

I just got a heat embosser and stamp and did 300 beverage napkins the other night, I love it!! I'm addicted to Michaels and their coupons, too! I can't tell you how many trips I have made there. I not getting married till next fall (Nov 2011) and I've already been picking stuff up for centerpieces, too. lol.

Anywho, I found your blog on weddingbee and am following now. I can't wait to read more!

Anonymous said...

If you ever see something you want and don't have a coupon, you can almost always get them online - yes I was scrapbook crafty before I started triathlon training!