Sunday, October 17, 2010

Antiquing it Up

The other day Mr. Gazelle had some studying to do so I decided to get out of the house and do something a bit out of character.  I decided to hit up some antique stores.

You see, I blame etsy.  There is so much awesomeness on there!  Pictures of beautiful milk glass cake stands ruffled hobnail milk glass one have me drooling over prettying up our wedding cake.

il_fullxfull.178690736Image via havenvintage on etsy

I googled antiques in Calgary and decided that Heirlooms Antiques seemed like a good place to start.  This store was amazing!  All kinds of beautiful china, chests, crystal and glass.DSCN4394Royal Doulton figurines.  Vintage purses, gloves and hats.  Old milk bottles, food tins.  They had a pretty good number of old Herend figurines, including this one:DSCN4393My mom is from Hungary and we visited the factory while visiting family as a child.  I was always drawn to the lady playing the guitar.  The one for sale at Heirlooms Antiques is about a foot tall.  Love it…but it is a little out of the budget…

Anyhow, there were quite a few gems there and I managed to pick up three things I’m in love with.  First up?  I was hoping to find a jewellery box so I could graduate from the tiny organza bags collected in a Ziploc bag that I’ve been using. IMGP2320Next up, was this gorgeous Fenton milk glass covered dish.  I honestly have no idea of what I’ll use it for, I just really liked it.  I could see a love affair with milk glass starting…IMGP2314And finally, this glass cake stand.  I couldn’t find one in milk glass there, but I think this one is simple and pretty.IMGP2313From there I popped into Urban Barn and found this super cool antique looking bird cage.DSCN4408Card box anyone?

Finally I stopped by Crave Cupcakes for a little treat.  Pumpkin cupcake with cream cheese icing.  Yum!IMGP2323Did you find yourself doing something a bit out of character in preparation for your wedding, like antique shopping?

3 comments:

Lindsay said...

girl stores like the goodwill are excellent for little things for the wedding. small vases/jars for centerpieces (can always be spray painted!) or even a cake stand (also spray paintable!). ok so maybe i still go and keep an eye out for cute things to rehab for the house... it's fun to re-use/refurb than just buy new!

these are great finds - i love that little milkglass jar!

Danielle said...

GREAT FINDS! I love going to antique stores!

Nicole @ Haute Runner said...

Fabulous finds!! I never thought about using the bird cage as a cardbox! Very creative.

Love Crave cupcakes... might have to get one this week. So good, yet so bad!

Antique stores creep me out! I don't mind antiques, but when they are all combined into one store... I may have to check out that store though, maybe I will have a different experience.