Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Blitzing the Body

According to my checklist on The Knot (so far the one I seem to like the best) it is time to start getting in shape for my wedding.  For those of you who know me from my original blog, Runner Leana, you are probably thinking that I should be able to check this off right away.  After all, didn’t I finish Ironman Canada on August 29th60069-400-008f And…aren’t I training for the Disney World Marathon in January? 25142-1110-022fSure, I am…but I definitely want to work on strength training to tone up.  After all, who doesn’t want to look buff in their wedding dress? 

I’ve been hitting up some strength classes at my gym on Wednesdays at lunch.  The most popular class is Total Body Blitz at 11:30.  Sign up for the class opens up 15 minutes before the class start and if you haven’t lined up for the sign up before that you are out of luck.  I just made it into the class today, but I realized that I had forgotten my sneakers upstairs in my office.  By the time I grabbed my sneakers and changed I was one of the last people getting set up in the studio.  All of the good weights were taken and there were only 12.5 lb dumbbells and 4 lb dumbbells left.  Yikes, 12.5 lbs is a little heavy and 4 lbs is pretty light.  I grabbed them anyway and hoped for the best.

We then ran through a whole bunch of upper body strength exercises using our heavy weights.  So many different variations on a bicep curl.  Who knew?  I kept up for the first bit, but as we neared the end of the upper body work my arms were super fatigued and my form was suffering.  I don’t think I’ve ever been so excited to switch to push ups in my life!

Now?  I’m finding it challenging to lift my glass of water for a drink!  Reminder to myself for next time – get to class earlier so I can grab weights that will be more effective.  On the plus side, at least I know I worked my muscles today though!

What steps are you taking to get in shape for your wedding day?

No comments: