Tuesday, May 10, 2011

A Bride’s Worst Nightmare

Well Hive, confession time.  Ever since university I’ve struggled with my weight, going up and down 20 pounds here and there.  Training for long distance triathlons was my way of keeping my weight in check.  Unfortunately after I finished Ironman Canada back in August I was completely burned out.  I was completely unmotivated to do much of anything in the fall and well…it came around and bit me in the behind.  I gained weight.  After buying my sample dress that fit perfectly.

I tried to come up with a game plan in the new year to drop the weight but I had difficulty being consistent with my plan.  The scale didn’t budge and my measurements stayed exactly the same.  I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t worried about my dress fitting.

Long story short, I tried my dress on this morning while my mom was visiting.  It zips up over my waist but the zipper over my bust is a complete no go.  My mom suggested I try a different bra, but there was no padding whatsoever in the bra I already had on.  Yeah, the bra wasn’t the problem.  Crap, my dress doesn’t fit.

There isn’t much point in crying about it, I need to do something about it.  I have a couple of weeks to attempt to drop some weight and if nothing happens I’ll consider alterations – whether letting some out on the sides is a possibility or converting the zipper back to a corset.  The dress has to go for alterations by the end of the month.

What am I going to do?

Exercise!  I’ve had great results in the past with a local women’s only boot camp so I signed up.  Class is three times a week for 8 weeks.  This will help me to exercise consistently and the combo of cardio and weight training should be effective.  Plus I now that the days are longer and the weather is nicer I should be able to start riding my bike into work – a 45 to 60 min commute each way.

Keep a food log!  The best way to watch what you are eating is to write it down.  I know in the past I’ve definitely thought about whether I really needed that peanut butter cup if I knew that I had to write it down on a log.  I need to plan my meals out, making sure that I’ve got plenty of healthy ingredients on hand.  Snacks are also key and should include a little protein to help make me feel full.  Apples with a bit of peanut butter is a perfect choice.  It is time to be diligent about sweets, my major weakness.  I know to be smart about my calorie intake as really limiting it will only wind up hurting me.

Wish me luck Hive, I need to fit into my wedding dress in two months.  Do you have any tips to share to help me get there?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like it's time for the last 10 pounds bootcamp! Ha ha. Joking aside, you are by far the most disciplined and organized person I have ever met when it comes to drawing up a plan and sticking to it, you'll do great and whether taken in or out, you're sure to look beautiful on the big day (no pun intended, ha ha!)

Heather said...

I think you'll be able to work it off... and if you can't, you can alter it and you'll still look beautiful!!!

Meg said...

When my dress came in a size too small, clean eating saved me! Tosca Reno's book is a good re-focus book. It probably has nothing in it that you don't already know, but it really helps me to stay focused when all I want is junk. Good luck!

Melinda said...

You've got lots of time & have done it before! That said, I LOVED the corset back on my dress. I really love that look either way!