Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Will you be my…?

Once I found myself enfianced I knew I needed to come up with a special way to pop the question. You know, to ask the girls in my life whether they would do me the honour of being in my bridal party!

I decided to get in touch with my crafty side. As a kid I used to be pretty creative. I would write monthly newsletters complete with fancy formatting and clip art and send it to my friends who had moved to other parts of the world. I would create nifty travel journals full of stories, post cards, mementos and drawings. I loved being creative but somehow that desire had fallen dormant while in university as I just never had time for anything but studying. I figured that planning a wedding was the perfect excuse to reawaken that side of me.

The day after getting engaged Mr. Gazelle and I were going to have dinner with my Bro Gazelle and sister-in-law. We planned to spill the good news in person and I wanted to ask my sister-in-law to be my matron of honour at this time. We stopped into Michaels to gather supplies for this question popping project except I had no clear idea of what it was that I wanted to do.

Have you ever wandered into Michaels with no clear plan?

With a guy who really has no interest in shopping at Michaels?

I ran up and down the aisles looking for something, hoping that the perfect thing would pop out at me. I knew I wanted cardstock but where on earth was it? I had grabbed a pack of blank cards and some gel pens and headed to the checkout. There to the left, one more row, was the cardstock!

I grabbed a couple of purple sheets and a couple of silver sheets plus some sparkly alphabet stickers in addition to the gel pens. I could work with this!

I found a picture of me and sister-in-law T and affixed it to the back of the silver cardstock, leaving a bit of a border. On the other side I glued a piece of purple cardstock that was the same size as the photo and spelled out my question in sparkly letters. DSCN4267-editDSCN4268SIL-T said yes, making her MOH-T! I did the same thing for my friend D when I asked her if she would be my BM.

Did you have a special way of asking your girls to be in your bridal party?

5 comments:

Meg said...

I wish I did! I was just too excited and when we called to tell them the news I blurted it out. Whoops.

Just making sure you know about the Michael's 50% off coupons? They come in handy during wedding planning!

Marlene said...

You are going to have SOOOO much fun with your crafty side throughout wedding planning. So many opportunities for DIY!

Heather said...

That's sweet! I think I just said something like "you'll be one, right?!?!" and that was that.

Just a small tip from one bride to another, unless you have no idea whatsoever what you're doing, the bridal fair isn't really too useful. I went, and already had my venue, my caterer, my dress, and all I wanted was a few ideas about invitations (we were making our own, but I wanted to see some examples) and a few ideas for flowers, though we weren't looking for florists. Basically, we paid a bunch of money to walk around and tell vendors "oh thanks, we're fine". I still get e-mails and regular mail daily from the wedding vendors, even though I didn't even sign up for ANY mailing lists, just the honeymoon draw.

SO, unless you're really looking for lots and lots of ideas, I would say it's not worth going.

It was also quite busy. BUT, some people really find it useful, so you might like it. Just my two cents!

Unknown said...

Hee hee, I was going to ask "which on of you is the Geek?" but then I realized that you must be the engineer. Ha ha. Looking forward to reading your journey to the aisle! Your 'invites' look great -but if you need any tips or ideas for future papercrafting stuff, let me know...I love that stuff.

Susi said...

love how creative you are leana! congratulations again on your fantastic news! i look forward to reading about your next adventure. :)