Sunday, September 19, 2010

The Proposal

I haven’t shared our proposal story with you yet!  I raced Ironman Canada in Penticton, BC on August 29th, 2010.  What exactly is an Ironman?  It is a long distance triathlon consisting of a 2.4 mi (3.8 km) swim, a 112 mi (180 km) bike ride, followed by a full marathon (26.2 mi or 42.2 km).  It requires a ton of preparation in the months leading up to the race.  Mr. Gazelle was really supportive throughout my crazy training and he was my biggest cheerleader on the day.  He drove me to the start line at 4:30 am, was on the course throughout the day and was at the finish line when I crossed shortly after 11 pm.IMGP0618

We went home to Calgary a few days after the race and got back on with our normal lives.  On the Friday after the race Mr. Gazelle and I drove home from work contemplating dinner.  We tossed around going out for fondue or running to the grocery store to grab some steaks.  We didn’t make a decision in the car though and just went straight home.

We walked in the house and went into the kitchen.  There was food on the counter that hadn’t been there in the morning when we had left for work!  There were flowers on the dining table!  And there was a brand new fondue pot on the table too!DSCN4261DSCN4263 
Hello, love the deep purple mini calla lilies!

Mr. Gazelle wanted to surprise me and planned a special dinner for us to celebrate Ironman together.  He had dinner in hand so he encouraged me to relax and hang out on the couch.  He fixed up some of our favourite appetizers – dates stuffed with blue cheese and wrapped in bacon – and made my favourite cocktail, an el Diablo – tequila, crème de cassis, lime juice and ginger ale. 

Dinner was ready!  DSCN4259He prepared a classic Caesar salad at the table.  Yummy!  Then it was time for cheese fondue made with Gruyere and smoked Gouda.  There was French bread, cauliflower, broccoli and smoked garlic sausage for dipping.  As we were eating the conversation was fairly normal with no indication of what was to come.  Then all of a sudden he said, “Well, I do have something I want to ask you….will you marry me?”

He reached over to grab the ring out of hiding and placed it in front of me.

And of course I said yes!  The proposal was so us – at home, eating some of our favourite foods and enjoying good wine and great conversation!  And what a week – I became an Ironman on Sunday and engaged on Friday!DSCN4344

*All personal photos.

Did your fiancé plan a proposal that fit you as a couple to a tee?

5 comments:

Marci said...

Ah what a perfect proposal, I love your venue too!! Have fun planning everything, can't wait to read about your dress shopping!

Meg said...

Perfect!

And loooooove the ring!

Lindsay said...

love it! how awesome of him to put all that dinner together - yummo. so sweet :)

Marlene said...

What a perfect proposal!

Nicole @ Haute Runner said...

What a romantic man you have!! Fantastic proposal!